My Fair Concubine (Harlequin Historical)

My Fair Concubine - Jeannie Lin I loved every bit of this book (well, except maybe the title, but more on that later). I'm only 3 books into my foray into reading historical romance, but already I'm wanting to run over to Amazon and buy the rest of Lin's backlist. She does a fantastic job of immersing the reader in Tang Dynasty China and incorporating the cultural norms into the love story and how the hero and heroine interact and relate to each other. And the love scenes were darn near perfect, without relying on the sometime snicker-worthy "throbbing member" and other such wording. The overall writing was enthralling, the details integrated so well and colorful. My only complaint is the title, in that it really has nothing at all to do with anything that happens in the actual story, so I have to assume it was the publisher's idea. However, the title didn't do anything to hamper my enjoyment of the book. I'm looking forward to reading more of Jeannie Lin's work in the future, and it's this kind of excellent cultural immersion that I want to strive for in my own work.